Technology-related resources page
An old collection of (mostly) programming tips and tricks, preserved here for posterity.
- 24 Nov 2008
- A portion of my library, libeden, for setting up full screen OpenGL
rendering contexts using the Mac OS X. (Originally published 30 Jul 2004.)
20 May 2008
- Using PHP and forms in an iWeb web site
- iWeb is a great tool for quickly laying out a website. However, it does not include support for using PHP in your iWeb site. Here I will show you how some tips and tricks for using PHP easily in an iWeb site, with an example also showing processing of HTML form data.
24 Oct 2007
8 Oct 2007
- zlib, freetype, jpeg, libpng binaries for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
- Here, for the convenience of those of us who have to occasionally build code that also runs on Windows, are binaries of four important cross-platform libraries, built for users of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
- WinVDIG: video digitizer component for QuickTime for Windows
- This is a authorised mirror of WinVDIG, a video digitizer component (VDIG) for QuickTime® for Windows, by Tim Molteno.
- 25 Feb 2004
- GLUT v3.7 for Darwin
- Prebuilt libglut.a for Darwin, to allow use of GLUT with Apples
8 Oct 2003
- OpenGL code: improved glm code
- Nate Robins wrote this code to read and write and manipulate Wavefront
.obj format files for use in OpenGL. I have fixed some bugs and added
a few improvements, including textures in .mtl files. Read
more about it here. Version 1.0.2 which fixed a couple of small
bugs is still here. UPDATE
19 Jan 2004: added some more documentation.
6 Jun 2003
- Generating a notification
to NotifyMail via AppleScript under MacOS 9
- The included AppleScript demonstrates a function "notify(host)",
which generates a finger request to the user "nm_notifyuser" on
host, the machine named in the parameter to the function. Such a
request is designed to be used with the program NotifyMail
3 Dec 2002
- Setting up an HP
deskjet printer to work with an older Mac via a network
- Older Macintoshes can access the latest hp inkjet printers, provided
those printers are shared on a network. This page details how to
do this in a low-cost fashion suitable for home or office.
26 Dec 2001
- OpenGL code: improved readtex code
- I fixed some memory leaks in a piece of code for reading in SGI
format graphics into OpenGL textures. UPDATE 3 Jan 2002: version
1.0.4 fixes more leaks and provides improved error handling. Improved
code is here.
1 Nov 2001
- Configuring procmail mail
- Few people know is that you can configure a pair.com account to
use the program procmail to do all kinds of useful mail processing.
The particular processing of interest to me was the ability to pass
selected mail on to another smtp server (my Mac OS X box at home,
now also running procmail) for processing, with the smtp envelope
intact. So over many months I have developed and refined a .procmailrc
file to implement this, along with some basic spam filtering and
forwarding, and I'm passing on a little of what I have learned well.
5 Oct 2001
- Tools for using PC-based NVIDIA
GeForce2 MX cards on a Mac
- After much to-ing and fro-ing on the bbs over at xlr8yourmac,
I've collected various bits and pieces that will be useful to people
trying to get a PC-based NVIDIA GeForce2 MX twinview AGP card to
work in their AGP Mac.
- 21 August 2000
- I've been meaning to put up a public page with some of my hacks,
tips and toys for other Mac users out there for some time, so here
goes. Feel free to email me if
you know something I don't.
- Using MI/X X-Windows
Run applications on a unix host and have graphical output displayed on your
Mac under OS 9. The freeware MicroImages X-Window server allows you to